Friday, October 7, 2011

Tiny Treasure Box project- Finished!

I found this lovely treasure box called Kaisercraft Beyond The Page Treasure Chest With 25 Chipboard Drawers that I thought looked like a lot of fun to create.  It comes totally unassembled, and unpainted with chipboard drawers you also have to assemble. I should have taken a photo of it out of the package but didnt think about that.  Here is where I started painting the pieces.  You definitely want to do this BEFORE assembly, its much easier to get the paint on a flat surface than when its put together.

I used acrylic paint, since this is MDF board, and it took 3 coats to really get it to look smooth.  There are a few more pieces than what is shown here.  But you get the idea.

So next I decided I wanted a more distressed type of look to the base.  So after allowing the last coat to dry 24 hours (and I think 48 would have been better) I took a rough sanding block, and distressed the edges.

I did this over the trash can it produces a lot of dust.  You can sort of see there in the photo the part closer to me has the color removed from the edges where the other half hasnt yet.  This took quite a bit of sanding to get it to look the way I wanted it.  Wipe off the boards with a damp cloth to get the rest of the dust off.

Here are all the pieces sanded.  Another thing I learned, see the slots there that pieces will be fitting in to?  Weeelllll dont get paint in there if you can or use a qtip and wipe it out when painting.  The paint dries in there and then you have to get an exacto knife and cut it out to make the pieces fit together.  I dry fit (with no glue) the entire thing first, which I highly recommend doing, as apparently there is a front and a back to the side boards and it will fit either way but for it to go together right you have to have the slots right. You can also see in the back of this photo where I am assembling the little drawers.  They are a flat piece of chipboard and I decided to use masking tape to put them together since I am covering the drawers with paper.

Here are all my strips of paper that I have cut.  They are 12 inches long and 3.25 inches wide.  I did this so that I can wrap the under side edge.  Here are some photos of covering one of the drawers
 On the long side, score at 2 7/8.  Make sure you pay attention to your design on your paper.
 Then score at 1/2, 3 1/8, 5 7/8,  8 1/2, and 11 1/4.
 on the bottom below the long score, snip at the scores a little v, this will help fold them under at the bottom.
The first one I did I used glue, that took too long to dry and be able to hold the paper on the drawer, so I found cheap 2 sided tape worked MUCH better.  Start on this side of the box, that way the final piece will wrap around and you will have your seam direcly on the back
 Here is the drawer wrapped.  Now for the bottom.
 tape down the flaps
 Then take a 2 1/2 inch square and tape it over the bottom.  Now we have to deal with the notch.
 Take your exacto knife and very slowly go along the edge.
And there we have a finished drawer!

Now to just do the rest!

I will post another photo when it is all done.

Lessons Learned:
Dont need two sided heavy card stock, the best drawer was regular paper weight paper.

No comments: