Thursday, November 17, 2011

Giving back at the Holidays

So as some of you may know, I am a Design Team member for Cookingwithcricut.com and have been having a great time with that group of folks.  One of my fellow DT ladies had a request on what to do with holiday cards that are made for challenges
http://funkycards.blogspot.com/2011/11/i-feel-love-novemberdecember.html and I had some cards I had made last year that I thought, why hang on to these, here is a great cause to send them to!  Yea useful! So I mailed those off and they were quite well received.

That got me thinking, hmm what can I do locally.  I have two friends that both have children that have cancer.  One is doing very well, one is having a hard time.  They both have had to be in the hospital on holidays.  And I thought to myself, self, would the hospitals like to have some cards or ornaments?  So even before I found a place to send them I started making them until I filled up a box of them. I got a bug and just had to do it, took me two days to make them. I stopped all other projects-I was inspired.  When they were finished, well, then I had to find a new home for them.  I tried several contacts and could not really find a definite place associated with the children's hospitals locally to send them to.  Then I thought, wait, where else besides the hospital have the kids had to go?   Ronald McDonald House.  One of my friends has had to stay there many times here recently, as they live over an hour away from the children's hospital in Indianapolis.  I searched out their website, emailed someone I thought would be a good contact, she immediately forwarded me to the right person and within a day I had a place who would love to have my box of ornaments and cards - YEA!  So they will be shipped off today, going to the post office now on my lunchtime.  My only goal in this, is if by chance one of these ornaments or cards will brighten at least one person's day.


Ready to be mailed, many ornaments and a few blank inside cards for them to let anyone use.  I made the cards with the Ribbons and Rosettes cart and my Cricut Expression 2 machine

 On each ornament I wrote something for encouragement.
I cut them out with my Cricut Imagine using the Snow Angel cart.  I embelished with glitter pens and stickles and viva decor pens, some little ribbon bows I tied, and punched them and added twine for the hanger.


This is my feel good for the holidays.  I think I will make this an annual thing.

No comments: